Tuesday, November 03, 2009

2009 This Year In Baseball Awards

Yup, folks, it's that time of year again. The baseball season is [almost] over, and it's now time to vote for the awards; best starter, closer, hitter, etc...but the category I love to go over is...come on, you remember...the Play Of The Year. This year's nominees are really good. Since there is a Mets player who was nominated, I obviously (and so will you if you know what's good for you) will be voting for him. It's Daniel Murphy, on Jul 8 against the Dodgers. Absolutely Ridiculous Play.

2nd place I think should be Dewayne Wise of the ChiSox. He made an amazing homerun saving catch (as we all know that is my favorite play in baseball). But not just that, it's the circumstance: it preserved Mark Beuhrle's perfect game (that is also up for an award, Best Performace). He wasn't in for the whole game! He came in as a defensive replacement I think in the 9th inning when this play occured (it was the first out, which means he literally came in 5 minutes ago).

Curtis Granderson is nominated once again for a homerun-saving catch he made on May 8 at Cleveland. He won the Play Of The Year award in 2007 also for a homerun-saving catch. If he actually does win (and somehow beats out Murphy) I think he would be the first player to win 2 of the same award in any category. I might be wrong but I don't think so. 3rd place I think is a tie between Curtis and Torii Hunter (who also won the award before, also on a homerun-saving catch and would be in the same situation as Curtis if he won this year). Curtis's catch also saved the game, he caught what would've been a walk-off 2-run homer by Grady Sizemore.

Honorable Mention goes to Gutierrez and Carl Crawford, who, of course, also had homerun-saving catches. Mauer's play was also really good, as the Izturis & Aybar combo. Eric Bruntlett and Joba Chamberlain are the last 2 nominees. Joba's play wasn't that bad either, but since he's a Yankee, and Eric is a Phillie (not only that, he did it against the Mets), they shall not be voted for. Eric's play also wasn't that good I think -- the only reason why it's up there is because he had an unassisted triple play to end a game, first in history to do that. And as all unassisted TP's, he just was in the right place at the right time. Nothing special like jumping over a fence, or a behind-the-back flip, or diving to get the guy out.

One of the best plays I've seen in my entire life was Brian Giles I think in 2002 or 2003, when he was on the Pirates, he made an indescribable homerun-saving catch at Dodgers stadium in LA. I can't find it though. If anyway knows what I'm talking about and knows where it is or something, please let me know.

Well, let the voting start, and good luck to Daniel Murphy! Let's Go Mets!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home