Monday, October 10, 2005

Yom Kippur's A Comin'

In philosophy class, the rabbi mentioned the Asara Harugei Malchus*, so I decided to read it then and there, in class to check up what they were talking about. I eventually ended up reading the whole thing, going into Maariv. When Maariv started, I got to the part about R' Chutzpis Hameturgaman, and I finished the paragraph right before Shma started. I was reading the notes part on the bootom of the page in the Artscroll YK Machzor (siddur), and it said that it was a day before he turned 130 years old, and the Romans came to get him. He begged, he cried, to let him live one more day so he can say Shma for one more day and night. I finished that right before I started Shma...exactly. I was like, woah, if only we all had half of that.

I'm trying to do what he did. I'll let you know how I do.

Oh, and we changed back the clock, we're now only 6 hours ahead of the East Coast. In Eretz Yisrael (Israel), it is a law that we haev to move the clock back before Yom Kippur. One year, a non-religious MK in the government was like, what's the difference? 25 hours is still 25 hours either way! To which one of the religious MK's responds back, "You obviously never fasted on Yom Kippur."

Laila tov everybody.

*The Ten Martyrs

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm..i don't get the whole time-change thing...then again, who knows- i'm terrible with time differences anyways...

Tue Oct 11, 02:40:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, i retract the previous statement..i fully understand the time difference in relation to the fast...it's just that i didnt realize how much earlier the fast would start in israel b/c of the change
also, you have to start spelling that "w" word correctly. W-H-O-A!!!! NOT WHAO, WOAH, WAOH, or any other mixed up spelling, silly head!!!

Fri Oct 14, 08:39:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home