Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Rosh HaShana In EY

Well, it's over now...here at least. We're waiting for the pizza to come, it's supposed to come between 2130 - 2140. It's 2201 now. Whatever.

Before yomtov I was talking to Gila, and we were saying how we weren't really ready for Rosh HaShana, and even though like I said I had those night slichos, I wasn't completely ready. Well, R Kwass spoke today, and talked about that. He said it's like a mashal (parable), you're working on a project (building the basketball hoop), you were on it all day, 600 - 1800 everyday. Mom comes out, "Honey, you ready?" "No mom, I need probably another day." "No not the hoop, the wedding." "What wedding?" "Your cousin Jonny's wedding." "Oh no, I comepletely forgot!" He's your favorite cousin, you have to take a shower, change, you think, how am I going to get into this wedding? I don't know if I'll be able to. But you get there, you hear the music, give him a mazal tov hug, and you're like, hey, I'm in it now, I got it. Rosh HaShana is the same thing, most people aren't ready, but it starts, the "ay-ay-ays" from the Yamim Noraim tune, bowing for Aleinu, hearing the shofar, and we're into it. We shouldn't worry. We're in it now, let's make the most of it.

Yeah, R Kwass is great.

Yesterday, I was ragging on Rabbi W for putting the accent on the wrong syllable on a word during Torah reading, and he says to Rabbi Hirschberg," Rabbi, Tonny's such a daikan ("details, details, details" type of guy)." "So why isn't Tonny reading the Torah?" At which point I go, "Oh Rabbi, BAM!" I wanted to do something this yomtov, and I'd keep asking to do stuff, but jokingly, and Rabbi said, "let me think about it....No." "You're mean Rabbi..." Whatever, it's cool. I'm gabbai, so at least I get to to do something.

Waiting for the pizza, just waiting for the pizza...

1 Comments:

Blogger Stairmompeg said...

Y'know when I felt "ready" for Rosh Hashana? When Abba started to sing, "Hinneni" and he got choked-up and he started to cry. The room was silent, except for his soft, sweet voice. After the first few words, he stopped. Silence. Everyone looked at him, then they looked to me, to see if I knew what was wrong. I watched Rabbi Engel's expression (he could see Abba from the front of the bimah) and his face seemed to say to Abba, "It's okay. Take your time." So I knew Abba was okay. I also knew Abba was overcome with the emotions that come with davening from one's heart. He took the words of "Hinneni" so seriously, and he was so very, very grateful to be able to be STANDING in front of the "omed" to daven (he'd been off his feet for weeks). Later that day, he said that we take it for granted, that we will be STANDING from year to year, but such a seemingly simple act needs to be appreciated. And he did. With all his heart and his tears. And he stood in front of that packed shul, crying, out loud, for a few minutes, before he could get himself together again to continue davening. And his tears went straight to shamayim, and those tears led all of our tefillos to Hashem. And THAT is when I knew we were "ready" for Rosh Hashana this year.

You have a lot to be proud of and grateful for, Tonny. You take after your Abba more than you probably even know. May your tefillos go straight from your heart to Hashem, every day. I love you!
SMP

Sun Oct 09, 08:28:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home