Friday, September 23, 2005

Word Games

Every day, except Tuesday we do bekiyos in Maseches Brachos. Today, we learned the Gemara about how a few of the rabbis were sick, so a rabbi went to visit them. They had a conversation, then the visitor said, "Hav li yadicha--give me your hand," and he did, and he got better.
So you know how Hebrew is like, awesome and each word is carefully picked by HaShem? I love that part of Judaism. It's where words that mean something, have the root word which is in essence related to that other word. I'm not explaining myself well at all, but you'll get it when I'm done.
One of my favorites of these word things is about "hav," actually. "Hav" means "give," like it did up there. What other word sounds like "hav" in Hebrew?



It is "ahava" which means "love." Love cannot happen without giving, constant constant giving. Unfortunately, some people don't realize this. I am NOT talking about anyone specifically, I promise, but in general, it happens sometimes, and it can really be bad for a relationship. For any relationship, not just a couple, people who are just friends, they have to give to each other, and while giving, they are also taking, because they are allowing the other person to give.

I love Hebrew.

I hope that made sense.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes perfect sense to me and its so true. Love is not one way. Love is an action word. You must give to recieve and receive to give.

Fri Sep 23, 09:25:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it a coincidence, then, that "woof-woof" in Hebrew is also translated as "hav-hav"?

Sun Sep 25, 08:49:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Hinda said...

Awww, I was planning to comment what Abba commented! Oh, well. It's the thought that counts. Hope you're loving the homeland! I know you are. It was a hypothetical statement!

Tue Sep 27, 02:35:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home