Wednesday, April 27, 2005

My Eppiphanies

Over Pesach I had one. And now, not even 15 minutes ago, I had another. First my Pesach one.
So I was at the seder (sick, yes...) and we got up to the part wehre the 5 rabbis were sitting together, etc, and R' Elazar ben Azaryah HaKohein says, I'm like 70 etc., so the question is, why is he only like 70, and not just 70? He didn't speak Valley girl-ese, so what's going on? Answer is, he was the Nasi of the Beis Din, head of B'nei Yisraek pretty much, and he was only 18, so over night HaShem made 18 rows of his hair white, to look older.
This is when I realized, we're the same age. Imagine me as he Nasi of the Beis Din...oh my God. How much we have grown apart from them who came before us...
The second one, which happened about 20 minutes ago, I was eating breakfast--matzah and butter, of course--and I wasn't watching tv, I was by myself in the dining room (I'm at ima's now), and I'm not really sure how I came upon it, I think I was looking at I & S's kesubah, and whatever else, and like, oh, ima was 18 when she got married, and in June, after high school...which is when I realized....my mother was a senior kallah. Jeez...I didn't even know they had these things back then. But again, that's like me getting married soon. I mean, as much as I would like to, there's no way I'm ready....What the hell was she thinking?!?! .... Well, whatever it was, I guess it was good, because, I mean, come on, I'm here, and that's not SO bad...

4 Comments:

Blogger Hinda said...

Whoa! I think I may be drowning in the depths of those epiphanies! What meds are you taking? Just kidding, of course! :) Hope you're having a great Pesach! (other than being sick!)

Thu Apr 28, 04:26:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Special Ed said...

the only thing scarier than you being marriend and av beis din is me in that position

Thu Apr 28, 05:48:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Hinda said...

Yeah, Ed's right. Whoa, I never thought I would say (or write) those words...

Fri Apr 29, 02:07:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Karban Nesanel said...

ed--this is true.
hinda--hehe...although eds not 18 yet....

Fri Apr 29, 04:43:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home