Sunday, September 03, 2006

Last Minute Realization

As I sit here waiting for Abba and Peggy to get stuff to eat, I want to share a final thought before I go.

I was thinking today about how I'm going to be able to do it all by myself in Israel with not that much money. It's going to be hard -- but I'm going to be able to do it, I know I can...with HaShem's help of course. I hadn't had a real steady job this summer, I had just done small things for the shul here and there, made a little money. I had worked for Mr Macy last year at his inn. And then it dawned me, what the reason possibly could be, why HaShem had it that I wouldn't have a job this year.

Because I forgot to give ma'aser.

Ma'aser is when one gives 10 - 20% of his/her income to tzedaka (charity). Everyone has to do it, even the person getting tzadaka, he has to give tzedaka also.

I had planned on giving my ma'aser last summer before I left. Then I got to Israel, to yeshiva, and was going to give it to a tzedaka there. And then I just totally forgot and it was the end of the year, and I had not enough to give the amount I had to.

According to this reason, HaShem probably would've thought, he obviously couldn't handle his money right last time, why should I give him another chance?

Learn from my mistake (as I hope I have). Give tzedaka. The Gemara says one who gives tzedaka get's paid back what he gave.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

I hope to see everyone in Israel soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Special Ed said...

Dude...aser bishvil shitasher...it's a gemara....I love you

Mon Sep 04, 04:40:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Bracha said...

There's many chances to give tzedeka here. Walking down the street, setting aside for another time...
It's very true what they say about getting back what you give- in July I received about a 50 shekel refund- after being very open with tzedeka.
And I just found out I will be receiving a stipend in Oct, Jan and April.
I also have a very limited budget. It can be done and people here won't just leave ya stranded. Of crouse you should know that.
I hope to hear from you soon, Tonny.
I may be joining you as an Israeli Citizen soon:)
Have a safe flight
love,
Bracha

Mon Sep 04, 10:25:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's never too late to give ma'aser. Even if you don't give it all at once, you can, eventually, still make up what you missed.
BTW, that ma'aser amount wouldn't happen to have been around $240.00, would it?
We love you, and we miss you. Already.

Mon Sep 04, 06:14:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course tzedaka is very important but there is also a comcept of hishtadlut. You left looking for a job till the last minute. Even if you give maaser, it doesnt mean Hashem will just drop a job into your lap while you sit on your butt. Next time give maaser and then start looking for jobs when their are still job openings.
Have an amazing year.

Mon Sep 04, 06:33:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Karban Nesanel said...

ed...i love you too.

peggy...ameinm thank you.

bracha...yes there are indeed.
israeli citizen? psh, awesome.

abba...yes i know. and actually the exact 10% was around $220. but yea, $240, it was around there. i thought of that too...

anon...i didnt quite exactly do that. i did go out looking for jos. i didnt realize that after applying to cvs/shaws they dont call right away...and thank you.

i was telling my cousin rivka about this realization, and she said, "oh yeah, its true. i know i havent been giving maaser when i am not getting any baby sitting jobs."

Gotta love The Lord.

Mon Sep 04, 09:32:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home