Thursday, March 30, 2006

Flying Down Memory Lane

Yesterday was 29 Adar. It was my Grandmother Leah Heimann's yartzheit--Savta Yuli (her Hungarian name) as we called her. So today we went to the cemetery to her kever. It was the first time I have ever been there. it's on Har HaMenuchos, which is huge, only Saba remebered where it was. I think I know how to get there, Baruch HaShem. I am difinitely going before I leave Eretz Yisrael.
We got there, I said my tehillim for my people that I say it for, then called Ima (at 4 am her time), I then recited Eishes Chayyil, and then Tehillim 130. Davening for, among other things, B'nei Yisrael. While I was saying Tehillim, I had my hand on the kever the entire time. I wanted to feel Savta Yuli there. I just wanted to touch her, hug her, say I love her. I did, but I couldn't touch her, just the stone. I didn't hug it, but I kissed it, kissed her. Took two pictures.
Then we dropped off Amit at the tachana, then went to Saba's house. I walked in, and BAM! that the smell hit me. Y'all know the smell, it's that familiar old-people smell that as kids think is weird, but when we grow up, we love it. It brings back so many memories from when we were there, the good and bad. Me though, I walked in, I loved it. I haven't been there since I was 3. I was walking around, looking at everything. Trying to remember something, anything. I just walked around, looking and touching everything. There were a lot of porcelain (sp?) things: 2 dolphins, Rosh HaShana honey thing. There were quite a few dolls. So Savta Yuli like. Very Hungarian. A thing that says "Toronto is for lovers". Walked into the kitchen, opened the cabinets, just to look at the pots and pans. Just to remember something. But alas, I have! I remember very, very vaguely, the sink on the left side of the kitchen, I remember that. There were pictures of Tali everywhere. So cute. There was a painting of a man learning, and in the bottom corners there were two pictures: One of Ra'anan speaking at his bar mitzvah wearing his talis and tefillin, and the other of me at Ra'anan's bar mitzvah. Wow was I cute. And young. Wow. (Stu: You were so cute, what happened? Tonny: I got cuter) I walked around, remembered some pictures and crocheings (sp?).

Good times, good times...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dearest Tonny,

Thank you so much for calling me at the cemetary, it meant a lot that if I was not able to be there with you saba and Amit, at least I could hear you recite the tehilim and other tefilot.This Yartzehit was the hardest one for me, I don't know why. It helped that I did two taharas on Tuesday night, the night of her yartheit and I countinued doing chessed in Savta's memory the next day. I vivited Mrs. Greenspan at the Home, I gave tzedaka, and I said tehilim for someone who was having a difficult surgery on Wednesday.

I hope that I can get to the cemetary soon. Savata Yuli is burried in a nice area of Har Hamenuchot where there are lots of trees, trees and flowers that she loved so much.

Love you,

Ima

Thu Mar 30, 11:07:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home