Monday, October 09, 2006

Sukkos In Israel

It's so nice in this country. It's still a little too hot, but walking around, seeing sukkahs all around, hearing people eating, singing, learning, sleeping in their sukkahs, it's nothing like it anywhere else in the world.

I even got to watch some Mets. I went to a baguette place in Beit Shemesh to watch the first game. 5 Yesodei guys, and around 25 Reishit guys. Great game, great food.

But anyway, I was able to get my Four Heretics (4 Minim, right...?) an hour before Shabbos/Yomtov for 65 shekel. 50 for lulav, esrog and aravos, 10 for hadasim, and 5 for the holder thing. An hour before.

Friday night I ate at the Lipkins. Their son-in-law Zev was saying how when he was growing up in Cleveland, they would sing, "We are Sukkah Number 1....Where is Numbe 2?" and so on, and it would keep going until around Sukkah 40. So we tried it. We got Sukkah Number 2, but that's it. We did it again a minute later, but now even Sukkah 2 didn't answer. R' Wolicki was actually eating at Sukkah 2, and in the morning I asked him what he thought, he just gave me a face like, come on, that's childish. It was very amusing actually.

The rest of Sukkos until now I've just been chilling here in Beit Shemesh. Yehoshu'a's house, Sholly's, the Wolicki's (mad leftovers from the Esseses), yeshiva.

Going to the Beit Shemesh concert tonight. Going to Pittsburgh for the Pittsburgher Rebbe's Simchas Beis HaSho'eiva Tuesday night, and Weds night I have a family bbq at my aunts, and also Simchas Beis HaSho'eiva at R' Kahn's. I don't know how I'm gonna do that one....*sigh*

I love Sukkos. You know why? Because we have to be happy. Yes, have to. The Torah says to be happy twice when talking about Sukkos. The Rambam and Vilana Ga'on both say it's actually a mitzvah, and the GR"A says that it's the hardest mitzvah in the Torah. Why does he say that? Well, how many times do people say, "You can't tell me how to feel!" or something like that? We can't tell people how to feel, yet the Torah is telling us, be happy on Sukkos. When life happens, sometimes it's hard to be happy. But HaShem is saying, put everything aside right now, which is hard to do, and be happy. But with everything going on, it's kinda easy -- eating amazing food, singing, sukkah hopping, going to Simchas Beis HaSho'eivos, concerts, chilling with friends. It's the way to go. Be HAPPY!

Mo'adim L'Simcha everybody. *Chagim uzmanim l'sason*

2 Comments:

Blogger Shir Chadash said...

Hey, we did that in Atlanta- I don't remember what number we got up to, but it traveled from Sukkah #1 to about a mile away and back again, most years. Of course, in Albany the only people within shouting range are Ra'anan and Rebecca- so we didn't try it here.

Mon Oct 09, 11:22:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, what she said.

Tue Oct 10, 06:09:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home